When a property is re-wired, two mains powered smoke alarms are fitted. These are usually AICO Ei141 models. This is an ionisation type with a replaceable alkaline battery.
Please read the information below to find out how to operate and maintain them.
- Look for constant green light, red light flashes every 40 seconds
- Press the test button for 10 seconds. Alarm will sound loudly.
- Vacuum around side vents to clean.
- Switch off mains power to the alarm (green light on cover should go out)
- Remove the unit (see below)
- Locate the battery slot in the base of the alarm
- Unclip the battery from battery snap connectors
- Connect the new battery (Duracell MN1604, Energiser 552 etc)
- Slide back the unit on to the base. A click should be heard as the alarm engages. (The unit cannot be replaced onto the base unless a battery is installed)
- Press and hold the test button - horn should sound loudly.
- Reinstate mains power to the alarm (green light on cover should come on)
It is recommend that the battery is replaced at least every three years.
Locate the arrow on the front face of the alarm. The slot is located directly above the arrow.
Insert a flat bladed screwdriver horizontally approx. 1cm into the centre of the removal slot.
With the screwdriver still inserted, push the lower half of the alarm away from the screwdriver, in the direction of the arrow on the cover.
Hold the lower half of the alarm and remove from the base plate by moving it vertically downwards.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 by Ian Pawson
Page last modified: 18th March 2014 02:19:04